Former Syracuse Orange center Fab Melo was released by the Dallas Mavericks Tuesday after playing in just three preseason games with the organization, which acquired him via free agency last month before training camp.
Melo averaged just 1.7 points, 2.0 rebounds and 8.9 minutes with the Mavs.
This maybe the final NBA spot for Melo, the former Big East Defensive Player of the Year, as earlier this year he had already been waived by the Memphis Grizzles, who had to eat $1.3 million of his contract. According to NBCSports.com, there has been rumors surrounding Melo's maturity -- imagine that -- and his willingness to develop his game.
Before Memphis and Dallas, Melo had been with the Boston Celtics where he was best known for walking into a doorway and suffering a concussion.
In early Oct., after being waived by Memphis, Melo told the Dallas-Star Telegram's Dwain Price he wasn't given a chance in either Boston or Memphis.
"They didn’t give me a chance," Melo said of his rookie season with the Celtics. "Even in practice I wasn’t getting a chance."
Before getting a chance to earn a roster spot in Dallas, Melo thought his size and competitiveness would help him land one of the 15 roster spots on the Mavs roster.
It is tough," he said of the 15 guaranteed contracts. "But competition is part of the game. You know the league is like that. But I do have size. You can’t teach that. So I try to take advantage of that."
Overall, Melo played in just six NBA games for the Celtics before he was shipped to Memphis this offseason in a trade for another former Orange player, Donte Greene.
Melo is still just 23-years-old, so there's still a lot of time for him to turn things around. However, if he can't stick anyplace soon than he might need to head out of the country to develop his game or make a living because we all know he sure didn't get much out of being a student at SU.