About a month ago, we got a chance to talk with former Syracuse Orange quarterback Eric Dungey about his future in football. At the time, he was getting set to play in The Spring League with the hopes of impressing the NFL brass enough to get another shot in the league. Fast forward to today, and Dungey hasn’t played in The Spring League as he has gotten that next NFL opportunity, signing with the Cincinnati Bengals.
The Bengals are Dungey’s third team in the NFL. He initially signed as an undrafted free agent as a QB/TE with the New York Giants in 2019. Dungey also spent time with the Cleveland Browns in 2019. He did not join an NFL team in 2020.
Right now, Dungey is Cincinnati’s fourth quarterback on the roster along with Joe Burrow, Brandon Allen, and Kyle Shurmur. Burrow suffered a knee injury in the middle of the season during 2020 and Allen took over for the final five games of the regular season. Obviously the Bengals are heavily invested in Burrow, the No. 1 overall pick from 2020. But as we saw last season, injuries do create chances for others to show what they can do — even if it winds up helping them just sign elsewhere the following offseason.
Best of luck to Eric on his next NFL opportunity! At the moment, he’s one of 14 former Orange players trying to make a roster this year. Some of those attempts are more likely to be successful than others, of course. But the full list right now for Syracuse players with NFL teams:
- Arizona Cardinals: Chandler Jones, Koda Martin, Justin Pugh
- Atlanta Falcons: Sterling Hofrichter, Chris Slayton
- Cincinnati Bengals: Eric Dungey
- Detroit Lions: Ifeatu Melifonwu
- Indianapolis Colts: Zaire Franklin
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Andre Cisco
- Los Angeles Rams: Trishton Jackson
- New Orleans Saints: Nolan Cooney, Trill Williams
- New York Giants: Riley Dixon
- Seattle Seahawks: Alton Robinson