Day & Time: Sunday, January 31 at 11 a.m. EST
Location: Carrier Dome, Syracuse, N.Y.
TV/Streaming: ACC Network
Opponent Blog: One Foot Down
Rivalry: Notre Dame leads 35-3
Current Streak: The team’s split the season series 1-1 in 2019-20
Teams Last Meeting: The Orange fell to the Fighting Irish, 70-72, on the road in February 2020. Lewis led the team with 24 points.
- Kamilla Cardoso was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Freshman of the Week. Cardoso averaged a double-double over ‘Cuse’s last three-game stretch with 11.7 points and 11.0 rebounds per contest.
- For the first time this season, the Orange were not ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll or the USA TODAY/WBCA Top 25 Coaches Poll. Syracuse received votes in both polls (27/45).
- ‘Cuse stands in fourth place in the conference standings.
- Kiara Lewis leads the team with 14.2 points per game. Freshman Kamilla Cardoso stands just behind Lewis in scoring, averaging 14.1 points per contest and adding 9.0 rebounds. Emily Engstler is making a name for herself as ACC Sixth Player of the Year, averaging a double-double this season with 11.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per contest off the bench. Freshman Priscilla Williams (10.6 pts) is also contributing double-digit scoring for ‘Cuse this season.
- The Orange rank in the top-5 of the ACC in blocked shots per game (1st), assists per game (1st), total blocks (2nd), field goal % defense (2nd), steals per game (2nd), offensive rebounds per game (3rd), 3-pts per game (3rd), turnovers forced (3rd), rebounds per game (4th), defensive rebounds per game (4th), scoring offense (4th), scoring margin (5th), win-lost percentage (5th), 3-pts attempted (5th), and 3-pt field goal defense (5th). The team ranks top-15 nationally in blocked shots per game (3rd) and total blocks (13th).
- In the conference, Mangakahia ranks first in assists per game and total assists, Cardoso ranks first in blocked shots per game and total blocks, and ranks second in field goal %, Engstler ranks third in double-doubles and fourth in defensive rebounds per game and rebounds per game, Lewis ranks third in steals per game and fifth in minutes per game, and Williams ranks fourth in 3-pt field goal %. Nationally, Mangakahia ranks third in assists per game and 12th in total assists, Cardoso ranks ninth in field goal % and 15th in blocked shots per game. and Engstler ranks 15th in defensive rebounds per game.
- Priscilla Williams was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Freshman of the Week on Jan. 18. Williams went 9-9 from the field (6-6 from three) to lead all scorers with a career-high of 26 points in Sunday’s win over Miami.
- Erica Morrow, a 2011 ‘Cuse graduate, has rejoined head coach Quentin Hillsman in Central New York as an assistant coach.
- On December 2nd, 2020, the Syracuse Athletics staff were able to adjust and achieve a live basketball game despite a location change in under 60 minutes. This is their story.
- The NCAA announced the 2021 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship will be held in one geographic area and is in preliminary talks with the city of San Antonio, Texas. The NCAA also announced the tournament will have a 64-team bracket, the .500 rule will be waived, and an eligibility waiver will be available for teams that do not reach a minimum of 13 games.
Syracuse’s Last Game: The Orange dominated the fourth quarter to declaw the Pittsburgh Panthers on Thursday night, 80-57. Syracuse outscored Pitt 27-12 in the final 10 minutes of the contest. Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi led all scorers with a season-high 17 points, 7-8 shooting, off the bench.
Four other Orange players tallied double-figure scoring, including Emily Engstler (12), Kiara Lewis (12), Kamilla Cardoso (11), and Priscilla Williams (11). Engstler’s 12 points with 13 rebounds marked her fifth double-double of the season.
: Highlight's from today's win over Pitt pic.twitter.com/gw2vxj7p6J— 'Cuse Hoops (@CuseWBB) January 29, 2021
Head Coaches: Syracuse - Quentin Hillsman (15th year, 312-163) | Notre Dame - Niele Ivey (1st year, 8-6)
Opponent Coach Bio: Ivey is in her first year at the helm of Notre Dame. She took over for Hall of Fame Coach Muffet McGraw this offseason when McGraw retired. Ivey has spent almost 20 years at Notre Dame as both a player and an assistant coach. She has helped the program reach nine Final Four appearances, including two as a player and seven as an assistant coach. In 2019-20, Ivey worked as an assistant coach with the Memphis Grizzlies before returning to Notre Dame.
Opponent Last Year: Last season, ND went 13-18 with an 8-10 ACC record. The Fighting Irish fell in the first round of the ACC Tournament to Pittsburgh, 65-67.
Opponent’s Last Game: Notre Dame lost to North Carolina on the road, 78-73. Dara Mabrey led the team with 23 points and a career-high seven assists.
Opponent Players to Watch: Mabrey is on fire right now, as she has tallied two 20+ point performances over the past three games. She is averaging 12.9 points on the season. Maddy Westbled is also a player to watch out for, as she leads Notre Dame with 15.4 points and 7.6 rebounds per contest.
If Syracuse Wins: Notre Dame is always a challenge for Syracuse, so a win, and one in the Dome, is a great way to start the final month of the regular season.
If Syracuse Loses: Notre Dame stands in fifth place of the ACC standings. A Syracuse loss would propel the Fighting Irish above the Orange.