Day & Time: Sunday, January 17 at 12 p.m. EST
Location: Carrier Dome, Syracuse, N.Y.
TV/Streaming: Regional Sports Networks (YES Network locally) with Dean Linke and Amy Audibert on the call
Opponent Blog: State of the U
Rivalry: Miami leads 20-12
Current Streak: Miami is 3-2 in the last five match-ups
Teams Last Meeting: The Orange defeated Miami, 69-58, in Florida on Dec. 10. Kamilla Cardoso and Tiana Mangakahia led all scorers with 14 points each.
Orange Storylines This Week:
- Syracuse will return to the court after a three-week break due to a positive COVID-19 test within the Orange program on Dec. 27. ‘Cuse has announced multiple schedule changes during the pause, including the cancelation of the Morgan State and Virginia games. Virginia and Duke opted out of the rest of the 2020-21 season due to COVID concerns.
- The Orange stand at No. 24 in the AP Top 25 Poll and No. 21 in the USA TODAY/WBCA Top 25 Coaches Poll.
- Freshman Kamilla Cardoso leads the team with 15.3 points and 8.3 rebounds per contest. Kiara Lewis (12.5) and Tiana Mangakahia (11) are also contributing double-digit scoring for ‘Cuse this season.
- Erica Morrow, a 2011 ‘Cuse graduate, has rejoined head coach Quentin Hillsman in Central New York as an assistant coach.
- On December 2nd, 2020, the Syracuse Athletics staff were able to adjust and achieve a live basketball game despite a location change in under 60 minutes. This is their story.
- The NCAA announced the 2021 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship will be held in one geographic area and is in preliminary talks with the city of San Antonio, Texas.
Syracuse’s Last Game: The Orange defeated Boston College in Chestnut Hill on Dec. 20, 83-70. Three Syracuse players contributed double-digit scoring in the win, including Cardoso (24 points), Lewis (20), and Priscilla Williams (14).
Mangakahia did not play against BC due to a foot injury and Emily Engstler exited the court in the final seconds of the game with a non-contact injury. Coach Q stated on Friday that the team will have a full roster for the Miami game.
Head Coaches: Syracuse - Quentin Hillsman (15th year, 309-161) | Miami - Katie Meier (16th year, 298-191)
Opponent Coach Bio: In 15 seasons at Miami, Meier has tallied nine 20-win seasons and 11 postseason appearances. A former Associated Press National Coach of the Year, Meier has coached five All-Americans. Prior to her coaching career, Meier was a four-year letter winner at Duke.
Opponent Last Year: Last season, Miami went 15-15 with a 7-11 ACC record. The Hurricanes fell in the first round of the conference tournament to Clemson.
Opponent’s Last Game: Miami defeated North Carolina, 69-59, at the Carmichael Arena. Senior Kelsey Marshall tallied 19 points in the contest, propelling her to the 1,000-point mark in her career.
Opponent Player to Watch: Marshall currently leads the ‘Canes with 14.9 points per game.
If Syracuse Wins: A win would be a great start to the week, as the Orange will play four games in the next eight days.
If Syracuse Loses: The team hasn't played competitive basketball in a month so it may take some time to adjust back to the court.