The Orange improved into 2020. There’s no doubt about that. We’re still talking March Madness chances, SU ranks fifth in the ACC and won five of their last seven games.
That’s still only relative to a weaker conference and Syracuse’s own low bar built in 2019. Leading Duke for 19 minutes then sticking within five points into the final four minutes was impressive on Saturday night. The Blue Devils winning also eliminated one of likely three guaranteed chances to grab a quality win before the ACC Tournament.
The field, odds and even how close the Orange play their opponents works against them. So while a confusing bubble and the SU’s improvement across the board may help on Selection Sunday, it’s worth considering what qualifies as a successful season beyond Tournament or bust.
James Szuba and I discussed that and recapped a fun environment, impressive Duke coaching and talent, along with the continuing conversation regarding Quincy Guerrier’s ceiling.
If you haven’t yet, please subscribe to Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Podcast:
- Download the podcast from Megaphone
- Download the podcast from iTunes (PLEASE RATE & REVIEW the podcast on iTunes. Appreciate it!)
- Also: Stitcher, Spotify, TuneIn, Castbox
You Missed It! Recent TNIAAP episodes:
- TNIAAP: Syracuse vs. Clemson preview
- SU Basketball Podcast: Crossover with Cuse Militia to preview Notre Dame
- TNIAAP: The Buddy Boeheim episode
- TNIAAP: Syracuse basketball win streak, football coordinators
- TNIAAP: Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech preview
Show log —
0:00-2:30 A captivating but frustrating loss
2:30-6:15 Admitting defeat on Vernon Carey Jr. as ACCPOY
6:15-8:16 Foul frenzy
8:16-11:16 How much does Quincy Guerrier improvement determine where Cuse will go?
11:16-14:15 Cassius Stanley shutting the door
14:15-15:45 Path to March for Syracuse with two elite opponents left
15:45-18:30 How can Orange defend physical big men better?
18:30-21:15 Where have the threes gone?
21:15-25:15 What defines a successful season at this point?
25:15-26:17 Boeheim upset about Guerrier follow-up
26:17-27:45 Recruits in the house