Day & Time: Thursday, December 10 at 8 p.m. EST
Location: Watsco Center, Coral Gables, Fla.
TV/Streaming: ACC Network
Miami Blog: State of the U
Rivalry: Miami leads 20-11
Current Streak: Miami is 3-1 in the last four match-ups
Teams Last Meeting: The Orange fell 77-62 in last year’s meeting in Florida.
Orange Storylines This Week:
- On December 2nd, 2020, the Syracuse Athletics staff were able to adjust and achieve a live basketball game despite a location change in under 60 minutes. This is their story.
- Syracuse improved to No. 20 (+2) in the AP Top 25 Poll and No. 18 (+3) in the USA TODAY/WBCA Top 25 Coaches Poll.
- ‘Cuse added the Binghamton Bears to their 2020-21 schedule. The Orange will host the Bears on Sunday, Dec. 13 at 2 p.m. EST.
- Four of Syracuse’s nationally-televised games have been updated with tip-off times and channel selections: vs. Notre Dame (ESPNU, 1/10, 2 p.m.), at Louisville (ESPN2, 2/1, 7 p.m.), vs. Louisville (ESPN2, 2/14, 1 p.m.), vs. North Carolina State (ESPN2 or ACCN, 2/28, 12 p.m.).
- The Orange rank in the top-5 of the ACC in scoring defense (1st), opponent field goal % (1st), blocked shots (1st), steals (1st), total rebounds (2nd), defensive rebounds (2nd), opponent 3-pt % (3rd), offensive rebounds (5th).
- Individually in the conference, Kamilla Cardoso ranks first in blocked shots and fourth in field goal %, Tiana Mangakahia ranks first in assists, Kiara Lewis ranks first in steals, and Priscilla Williams ranks 5th in 3-pt field goal %.
Syracuse’s Last Game: The Orange won their first game in the Carrier Dome this season on Sunday against the Penn State Nittany Lions. Syracuse overcame a double-digit Lion lead in the first half to win by 10, 82-72.
Kiara Lewis dominated the court with a season-high 26 points and five steals. Tiana Mangakahia (14), Digna Strautmane (14), and Amaya Finklea-Guity (10) joined Lewis in double-figures. Mangakahia also added eight assists and six rebounds despite nine turnovers. Strautmane tallied eight rebounds, four blocks, and three steals in addition to Finklea-Guity’s nine rebounds.
Head Coaches: Syracuse - Quentin Hillsman (15th year, 307-160) | Miami - Katie Meier (16th year, 295-187)
Opponent Coach Bio: In 15 seasons at Miami, Meier has tallied nine 20-win seasons and 11 postseason appearances. A former Associated Press National Coach of the Year, Meier has coached five All-Americans. Prior to her coaching career, Meier was a four-year letter winner at Duke.
Opponent Last Year: Last season, Miami went 15-15 with a 7-11 ACC record. The Hurricanes fell in the first round of the conference tournament to Clemson.
Opponent’s Last Game: Last Thursday, the Hurricanes defeated Florida Atlantic, 73-61, at home. Senior Kelsey Marshall led Miami with 21 points and a career-high five steals.
Opponent Player’s to Watch: Marshall, a senior guard, currently leads the ‘Canes with 18.7 points and four rebounds per game.
If Syracuse Wins: Great start to ACC play.
If Syracuse Loses: Jockeying around the ACC standings will likely come down to the last few games of the season, so it would hurt to take a conference loss this early in play.