The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team has officially completed its non-conference schedule for 2018-19. As announced on Twitter today, SU’s 13th (and final) non-conference foe will be the Arkansas State Red Wolves.
The Orange host the Red Wolves on Saturday, December 22. Syracuse has never faced Arkansas State, as noted above, given SU’s penchant for scheduling teams in the New York area and Arkansas State’s shorter stay in college basketball’s higher ranks (just since the late 1960s).
Last season, the Red Wolves went just 11-21 overall and 6-12 in the Sun Belt, which placed them second-to-last. Deven Sims led the team in scoring with 17.1 points per game, but was dismissed in February. Ty Cockfield (14.9 points per game) is their leading returning scorer. Tamas Bruce is the only returning player to average more than five rebounds per game last year (he had 5.7) — something that could become an issue against a long Syracuse team.
Arkansas State is a departure from most of the Orange’s recent non-conference opponents too, ranked No. 281 at the end of last year by KenPom. The majority of Syracuse’s non-con opponents have sat more in the 50-150 range of late, with a smattering of teams near 200.
Would assume we get the full ACC schedule just before football season starts. In the meantime, here’s what the non-conference slate looks like:
- November 6: Eastern Washington Eagles (2K Classic)
- November 10: Morehead State Eagles (2K Classic)
- November 15: UConn Huskies (at MSG)
- November 16: Oregon Ducks/Iowa Hawkeyes (at MSG)
- November 21: Colgate Raiders
- November 28: at Ohio State Buckeyes (ACC/B1G Challenge)
- December 1: Cornell Big Red
- December 4: Northeastern Huskies
- December 8: Georgetown Hoyas
- December 15: Old Dominion Monarchs
- December 18: Buffalo Bulls
- December 22: Arkansas State Red Wolves
- December 29: St. Bonaventure Bonnies