The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team’s 2018-19 schedule continues to come together. Last we heard, long-time foe Colgate was added. This time around, we learn that the Northeastern Huskies will be visiting the Carrier Dome on December 4.
Syracuse will host Northeastern in December. pic.twitter.com/X2ZiFcOuRi— Syracuse Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) July 25, 2018
Northeastern was a pretty good team last season, going 23-10 overall and 14-4 in the Colonial Athletic Conference to earn a share of the regular season title. The Huskies nearly made the NCAA Tournament field too, but fell in overtime to the College of Charleston in the conference final.
When we’d last talked about potential foes that fit the profile Syracuse is looking for (top 100-150), we’d skipped over Northeastern, though they certainly qualify. The Huskies were No. 96 according to KenPom last year, and also bring back top scorers Vasa Pusica (17.9 points per game) and Shawn Occeus (10.8). So one would expect they’d be able to at least come close to what they did last season.
The Huskies are also in the exclusive “0-5 or worse vs. Syracuse” club, which lost Wake Forest last year but still sports a strong membership. Northeastern is 0-6 all-time against SU, having lost the last matchup 95-74 in 2007.
Northeastern becomes the 11th team added to the schedule for 2018-19, meaning there are just two slots remaining.
- November 6: Eastern Washington Eagles (2K Classic)
- November 10: Morehead State Eagles (2K Classic)
- November 15: UConn Huskies (at MSG)
- November 16: Oregon Ducks/Iowa Hawkeyes (at MSG)
- November 21: Colgate Raiders
- November 28: at Ohio State Buckeyes (ACC/B1G Challenge)
- December 1: Cornell Big Red
- December 4: Northeastern Huskies
- December 8: Georgetown Hoyas
- December 15: Old Dominion Monarchs
- December 18: Buffalo Bulls
One might guess EMU fills a remaining spot here. The other? Anyone’s guess, though perhaps the Bonnies are up for a rematch.