Following last week’s ACC Football Kickoff, the conference has been releasing the results from media voting on preseason honors, and today was the All-ACC team.
Perhaps to your surprise, zero Syracuse Orange players made the team.
Now, before you get too irate, the preseason list only features the first-team, and then lists out everyone else that received votes. The postseason list features first-, second- and third-team designations, so that’s really where Syracuse should find itself a lot more recognition.
Despite not getting any players on the squad, SU still represented well, though. A breakdown of the Orange athletes that received votes:
Quarterback: Eric Dungey (three votes)
Running back: Dontae Strickland (two)
Wide receiver: Ervin Philips (24), Steve Ishmael (nine)
Defensive tackle: Chris Slayton (one)
Linebacker: Zaire Franklin (33), Parris Bennett (two)
Safety: Antwan Cordy (two)
Punter: Sterling Hofrichter (31)
Specialist: Sean Riley (five)
Some additional side notes on how these votes broke down:
- Dungey was third among vote-getters at QB, which was to be expected.
- Erv was seventh among vote-getters at receiver, despite being the receptions leader among returning players.
- Zaire was fourth among linebackers, which is actually a pretty nice finish for him.
- Hofricther only misses making the All-ACC team by two votes. That’s an impressive bounceback for the Orange less than two years after Riley Dixon’s departure.
- Also, not that this is the MOST important thing, but some of the votes for Syracuse (and other schools’) players are embarrassing. Of course we all (self included) have some SU bias. But if I’m credentialed media, I’m not logging a vote for every Syracuse player with a pulse just because I have a ballot.
The overall results of the voting are about what you’d expect, despite some potential gripes above. Clemson gets five players on the team, while Miami gets four to come in second. Syracuse will face 21 of the 27 players named to the All-ACC squad (hooray?).
This is fine. But if you’re a little pissed off, feel free to register all gripes below.