During last week’s ACC Football Kickoff, attending media members placed votes for some of the conference’s preseason honors, included the projected league standings for the 2017 season.
To little surprise, early predictions place the Syracuse Orange sixth in the Atlantic Division, after logging a total of 362 total points. There were 167 voters total. First-place votes counted for seven points, while seventh place votes counted for one.
Full standings projections below:
1. Florida State Seminoles: 1,108 (121 first-place votes)
2. Clemson Tigers: 1,007 (37)
3. Louisville Cardinals: 843 (9)
4. NC State Wolfpack: 658
5. Wake Forest Demon Deacons: 415
6. Syracuse Orange: 362
7. Boston College Eagles: 283
1. Miami Hurricanes: 1,065 (103)
2. Virginia Tech Hokies: 932 (40)
3. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: 708 (9)
4. Pittsburgh Panthers: 673 (7)
5. North Carolina Tar Heels: 606 (4)
6. Duke Blue Devils: 473 (4)
7. Virginia Cavaliers: 219
Syracuse was one of just five programs that did not receive at least one first-place vote, though the opposite side of that coin is largely aided by the muddled picture of the Coastal Division. SU received the third-fewest points overall, only beating out Boston College and Virginia.
Speaking of BC, it’s nice to finish above them in this poll, if only to show how perceptions are changing around the league. While the Eagles finished with a better overall record than the Orange last year, Syracuse did beat them head-to-head (for the third time in four tries), and the teams both finished 2-6 in league play. Wake Forest was ahead of ‘Cuse, obviously. But not by so much that there’s a clear demarcation line between the strength of the two programs.
What do you think, though? Sixth sound about right? Prefer we were higher? Share your own predictions below.