Just the other day, we mentioned that the Colgate Raiders would probably be the last team added to the Syracuse Orange’s 2017-18 men’s basketball schedule. And on Thursday, that prediction came to fruition.
Colgate will visit SU on December 9, marking the 170th meeting between the two schools. The long-time Central New York foes have met every season since 1993, and in many cases played home-and-homes in 1976 and earlier. Syracuse has won 51 straight in the series, and hasn’t played the Raiders on the road since 1977.
Though the Orange handled ‘Gate 83-55 last year, we’ll see if the gap’s as large in 2017-18. The Raiders were 10-22 last season, but also return nearly everyone from that team. That list of returning players includes forward Will Rayman (14.6 points per game), guard Sean O’Brien (12.5 ppg) and forward Jordan Swopshire (10.3 ppg).
So that’s it for SU’s 13 non-conference opponents for this coming season. We’ll have a standalone article about the schedule itself tomorrow. But in the meantime, here’s the full list of teams the Orange will square off with before ACC play begins.
- November 10: vs. Cornell Big Red
- November 14: vs. Iona Gaels
- November 17/18: vs. Texas Southern Tigers
- November 20: vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies
- November 22: vs. Toledo Rockets
- November 27: vs. Maryland Terrapins (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
- December 2: vs. Kansas Jayhawks (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
- December 5: vs. Connecticut Huskies (Jimmy V Classic at MSG)
- December 9: vs. Colgate Raiders
- December 16: at Georgetown Hoyas
- December 19: vs. Buffalo Bulls
- December 22: vs. St. Bonaventure Bonnies
- December 27: vs. Eastern Michigan Eagles