The knock on Orange Madness every year always seems to feel the same. The actual basketball is fun, everything else...not so much. There’s also been a fight in the concourse, a cancelled rapper appearance due to offensive lyrics, the actual appearance of a Christian rapper, Hilby the German Juggling Boy, and a cancelled appearance by a secondary Jersey Shore castmember.
Syracuse Athletics has learned it’s lesson and they’re keeping things relatively simple for the 2016 edition.
So what’s on tap?
- Scrimmages by both the men's and women's squads
- A dunk contest
- A 3-point shooting contest
- On court interviews and analysis by ESPN's Seth Greenberg
- The Pride of the Orange – New York's College Band and the Spirit Squad
- Free 2016-17 Team Schedule Posters
- 'Cuse Selfie Stations in the Carrier Dome backcourt for fans to take their picture with their favorite student-athletes and coaches
The Midnight Madness concept really only works as one of two things. Either you go REALLY big and bring in some kind of superstar or celebrity, or you keep it simple and just give the people some basketball and photo ops.
Of course, Syracuse could announce some musical act we’ve never heard of next week and we’ll all roll our eyes, but for now the easy road is the smart road for the Orange this time around.
The event takes place Friday, October 21 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets cost $5 and they’re already on sale. SU and ESF students get in free while season-ticket holders and Orange Club donors can redeem free tickets through their accounts.
The only question left (we hope) is how Jim Boeheim will enter.