Five-star recruit Tyus Battle told ESPN on Monday that he has committed to play for Syracuse.
The No. 27 recruit in the Class of 2016 was formerly committed to Michigan before decommitting last month. Immediately after decommitting, Battle took an official visit to Syracuse.
"I wanted to be closer to home," he told ESPN. "They told me I could be a versatile guard who could have the ball in my hands a lot."
Battle also told ESPN that SU recently naming Mike Hopkins head coach-designate "mattered."
"He's a great guy who will be a terrific head coach," Battle said. "He's high-energy, and I'm very comfortable in Coach Hop."
Battle is Syracuse's second commitment in the Class of 2016, joining small forward Matthew Moyer. Battle's commitment puts the Orange at 11 scholarship players for the 2016-17 season, but SU is limited to 10 scholarship players under its current scholarship reduction penalties, which were handed down by the NCAA in March.
Battle's commitment could mean Syracuse is expecting to win its appeal to the NCAA and have the penalty reduced. If the Orange doesn't win its appeal, at least one player would need to transfer or leave early for the NBA to make room for Battle.