For the 2nd year in a row, the Syracuse Orange Track & Field teams took home two individual titles at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Overall, the women placed 10th with 33 points with Clemson taking home the team trophy. Florida State won the men's title with Syracuse finishing 7th with 52 points.
Junior Margo Malone captured the 1st women's outdoor title for SU by taking the 10000m with a time of 33:33. Malone broke away from Molly Seidel of Notre Dame and Liz Westphal of BC in the final 800 meters to take the win and she will be a strong contender to return to the NCAA Championships again this year.
Freshman Justyn Knight added to his 1st year accolades by taking the 1500m title in a time of 3:47.85. Knight showed a lot of poise as he ran the last two laps with only one shoe.
Malone and Knight talked briefly about their races and as is the case with the Syracuse team, they both give plenty of credit to their coaches and teammates.
There were other strong Syracuse performances in Tallahassee. Among the other Orange athletes scoring points were:
- Shaina Harrison was 2nd in the women's 100m dash in a time of 11.36
- Jesse Petersen ran a personal best in the 5000m and garnered a 3rd place finish in a time of 16:13
- Regine Hunter took 6th in the triple jump with a performance of 12.35 meters
- In the relays, the women's 4x100m relay finished 7th while the men's 4x100m took 8th place
- Dan Lennon came close to giving Syracuse a sweep in the 10000m finishing in 29:43. It took a 57 second closing lap from Louisville's Ernest Kibet to push Lennon to 2nd. Colin Bennie finished closely behind in 3rd and Reed Kamyszek took 5th in the event.
- In the 110m hurdles, Freddie Crittenden took 3rd place with Donald Pollitt taking 5th in the event.
- Martin Hehir battled Thomas Curtin from Virginia Tech in the 5000m and settled for 2nd place in a time of 14:00. Max Straneva took 5th in the event