clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting: Updating Where the Orange Stand With Each Future Class

New, 7 comments

We take a look at where Syracuse stands with each target for the 2016 and 2017 classes.

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

It has been a busy few weeks in the Syracuse Orange men's basketball program. Jim Boeheim and the staff have been on the road recruiting numerous top prospects, as well as going on an offer-spree while under scholarship reductions. The NCAA sanctions haven't slowed down Jim Boeheim, so why should it slow down the program?

In the 2016 class, Tyus Battle remains the top prospect. Syracuse conducted an in-home visit on Wednesday evening, which went "very well," according to sources. Battle will officially visit Michigan next month, as well as Syracuse, however a date has not yet been scheduled. Syracuse remains in very good position for Tyus.

Another prospect the Orange have remained close with is 6-10 center Sedee Keita. Sedee told me earlier this week he wants to visit Syracuse before making his college decision. His interest level with the Orange remains high.

***

This past week and a half was all about the state of Georgia. Syracuse offered three Georgia products: Alterique GilbertKobi Simmons and James Banks. All three prospects have mutual interest in Syracuse. The Orange conducted an in-home visit with Kobi Simmons earlier this week.

Syracuse has remained in contact with guards Quinton RoseKevin Huerter and Howard Washington. The Orange first reached out to Huerter after a solid first AAU weekend. Coach Hopkins visited Rose last month and watched him play, and Washington's interest goes back to last season, before he transferred to Montverde.

For 2016, 5-star point guard Jamal Murray is reportedly still interested in Syracuse, despite not receiving an offer this past week. Murray's stock is rising quickly, and it seems like the Orange will stick around for a little longer.

Syracuse still has an offer out to 2016 5-star forward Harry Giles. Giles hasn't officially eliminated the Orange yet, but Giles-to-Syracuse won't be happening.

SU has a commitment from Matthew Moyer, which leaves one spot remaining for the '16 class. The Orange have six open offers currently out, with unknown limitations on each. My belief is the Orange feel they'll regain a scholarship that was previously banned by the NCAA. If that's true, the Orange could sign two more prospects to the 2016 class.

***

Syracuse is in good position for the 2017 class as well. Jim Boeheim has offered three 2017 prospects: Mohammed BambaTrevon Duval and Jordan Tucker.

Jordan Tucker told me last week his interest level remains "very high" with SyracuseBamba, a 5-star center, was offered by Syracuse just a few weeks ago.

On Wednesday night, Coach McNamara visited Hamidou Diallo, a 6-4 shooting guard from Connecticut. TNIAAM learned of Syracuse's interest in Diallo last week, and the visit confirmed it.

Coach Autry was in contact with 2017 shooting guard Terrell Turner earlier this week. Turner told me two weeks ago he's looking forward to visiting Syracuse in the near future.

The Orange have remain in contact with Melo Eggleston, a 6-8 G/F in the 2017 class. Eggleston called Syracuse his "dream school" back in September. He visited SU for Orange Madness back in October of 2014.

This weekend will mark the second AAU session of the season. Nike EYBL will be in Lexington this weekend, Indianapolis will host the Adidas Uprising and the UA Association will be in Louisville.