The New England Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX over the Seattle Seahawks yesterday. This probably irks a lot of you not from New England -- myself included -- but let's try to focus on the positives instead. This one, in particular: former Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones just earned himself a Super Bow ring.
In just a few seasons in the league, the former SU linemen has really made a name for himself, and this championship just adds to that list of accolades. But he's not the first former Orange player to collect the sports' most important hardware at all. In fact, Jones joins a long list of Syracuse players to hoist the Lombardi Trophy; a list you'll find below:
|Chandler Jones||DE||XLIX||New England Patriots|
|Arthur Jones||DT||XLVII||Baltimore Ravens|
|Tom Coughlin||Head Coach||XLVI||New York Giants|
|Anthony Smith||FS||XLV||Green Bay Packers|
|Anthony Smith||FS||XLIII||Pittsburgh Steelers|
|David Tyree||WR||XLII||New York Giants|
|Tom Coughlin||Head Coach||XLII||New York Giants|
|Dwight Freeney||DE||XLI||Indianapolis Colts|
|Marvin Harrison||WR||XLI||Indianapolis Colts|
|Ryan LaCasse||LB||XLI||Indianapolis Colts|
|Josh Thomas||DT||XLI||Indianapolis Colts|
|James Mungro||RB||XLI||Indianapolis Colts|
|Tebucky Jones||FS||XXXVI||New England Patriots|
|Roland Williams||TE||XXXIV||St. Louis Rams|
|Daryl Johnston||FB||XXX||Dallas Cowboys|
|Kevin Mitchell||LB||XXIX||San Francisco 49ers|
|Daryl Johnston||FB||XXVIII||Dallas Cowboys|
|Daryl Johnston||FB||XXVII||Dallas Cowboys|
|Art Monk||WR||XXVI||Washington Redskins|
|Art Monk||WR||XXII||Washington Redskins|
|Joe Morris||RB||XXI||New York Giants|
|Art Monk||WR||XVII||Washington Redskins|
|Keith Moody||CB||XV||Oakland Raiders|
|Larry Csonka||FB||VIII||Miami Dolphins|
|Larry Csonka||FB||VII||Miami Dolphins|
|Jim Del Gaizo||QB||VII||Miami Dolphins|
|John Mackey||TE||V||Baltimore Colts|
Some things you'll want to know:
- In total, 27 Super Bowl rings have been given out to former Syracuse football players.
- 20 different former Orange players have won Super Bowls.
- Art Monk and Daryl Johnston are tied for the most titles for a Syracuse player, with three apiece playing for Washington and Dallas, respectively.
- The Colts franchise (Indianapolis and Baltimore) is responsible for six of Syracuse's Super Bowl rings -- most of any team. The Indy team that won Super Bowl XLI had five SU players on the squad.
- Super Bowl XXV was the only one of the four Giants' Super Bowl wins to not feature a Syracuse player.
- The breakdown, by ten-year periods of Super Bowls: 40s (12 titles), 30s (3), 20s (6), 10s (2), 00s (4).
- Otis Wilson (Bears) was not included here, since he only started his college career at SU, but finished at Louisville.
- Jim Del Gaizo (Dolphins) WAS included because he started his career at Tampa, but finished at SU.
- Anthony Smith is the only former Orange player to win two titles with two different teams.
- Tom Coughlin is the only former Orange player to win a title (in his case, two) as a coach.
UPDATE: On Twitter, it was pointed out that All-American Markus Paul (currently the Giants' strength and conditioning coach) has won five titles -- all as a coach. Was a lot tougher to find information on full coaching staffs, but definitely add this an an addendum to the above.
Did we miss anyone? Any additional fun facts you can think of? Share away.