When you think about Syracuse Athletic traditions, you probably think about the number 44 (or 22 for lacrosse), or people packing the Carrier Dome for a basketball game, but there is another tradition which doesn't receive a lot of attention. It's a tradition of successful hurdlers on the track&field team, and it's being continued with this year's team.
First, take a look at some of the former athletes and their accomplishments in the discipline:
- Kevin McQueen- All-American in the 110m hurdles in 1990. Big East Champion in the 55m hurdles in 1992.
- Qadry Ismail- All-American in the 110m hurdles in 1991, All-American in the 55m hurdles in 1992. Big East Champion in the 55m hurdles in 1991, and 110m hurdles in 1990 and 1992. Syracuse fans probably remember him more for this moment
- Gail Giddens- All-American in the 100m hurdles in 1992. Big East Champion in the 400m hurdles in 1990
- Nikki Inglis- All-American in the 100m hurdles in 1994
- Keri Hinderlie- All-American in the 100m hurdles in 1996
- Adrian Woodley- All-American and Big East Champion in the 60m hurdles and 110m hurdles in 1999 and 2000
- Deniece Bell- Big East Champion in the 400m hurdles in 2000
- Ramon Sosa- Big East Champion in the 110m hurdles in 2007, and 60m hurdles in 2009. IC4A Champion in the 110m hurdles in 2007 and 2008
- Jaret Eaton- SU's 1st NCAA Champion in Track&Field when he won the 60m hurdles in 2012. Big East Champion in the 60m hurdles in 2012, and 110m hurdles in 2010.
This year's Syracuse Track team features two All-American hurdlers- Senior Donald Pollitt and Sophomore Freddie Crittenden. Pollitt enters his final season with a resume that includes two All-American selections, a Big East Championship in 2013 in the 60m hurdles, and an ACC Championship in 2014 in the 110m hurdles. Crittenden finished his 1st season at Syracuse with an All-American selection in the 110m hurdles, and finished 2nd to Pollitt in the event at the ACC Outdoor Championships.
Right now, Pollitt and Crittenden are ranked 1-2 in the ACC in the 60m hurdles. Both will compete next at the Penn State National meet this weekend and we'll be providing updates throughout the season.