Name: Ryan Norton
Hometown: Garden City, N.Y..
High School: Garden City High School
2013 Stats: Sporadically played in 12 games per SU. He went 10-of-15 kicking field goals, and 27-of-29 on extra points.
2014 Projections: May not get much of a chance to play this season -- unless he goes back to just handling kickoffs. Ross Krautman's back from injury and is looking to reclaiming his spot as the team's starting kicker. Plus, Norton can't seem to stay out of trouble lately.
How'd He Get Here: Former SU assistant John Anselmo managed to grab him away from the clutches of Rice and Richmond. He made a name for himself on Long Island as a kickoff specialist, earning all-state and all-Long Island honors.
What'd Recruiting Sites Say: Rivals and Scout thought two stars sounded about right.
Money Quote: Because reliving last fall's arrest is obviously the only way we could handle this preview:
According to the document, Norton was approached by officers after he was observed with an open 24-ounce can of Bud Light near Acropolis Pizza and, when approached, told officers, "I'm not going anywhere."
Links Of Wonder: Last year, Sean put together a bulleted list of all of Norton's poor decisions from the police's account of the story. For a refresher, they were:
1. Drinking Bud Light.
2. Hanging out in front of Acropolis "Friday morning," which is the classy name for 1am on Thursday night.
3. Telling police officers, who presumably have loaded guns in their possession, "I'm not going anywhere."
4. Running from said police officers to Waverly Avenue.
5. Pushing said officers while running away from them.
6. Refusing to do whatever those officers requested that he do.
7. Saying sorry while not actually being sorry.
8. Putting the Syracuse kicking game entirely in the hands of Riley Dixon and ensuring that the game will come down to Dixon attempting a 45-yard field goal to beat Wake Forest.
9. Seriously, drinking Bud Light.
10. Misunderstanding the hard-nosed ethos altogether.
Twitterfeed: This is probably for the best. Though, admittedly, the endless hours of entertainment it would probably yield would be worth it (I think).
Tweets Of Wonder: Everything about this is sad, in hindsight (as it was then, too):
Syracuse won't be shut out. Ryan Norton hits the 32-yard field goal. 59-3.— Daily Orange Sports (@DOsports) November 16, 2013
What Does Shafer Think Of Him: Based on this quote, I think everything's in play:
"He’s done a nice job taking ownership. It’s between Ryan and I."
Interesting Nugget O'Interest: Ryan played lacrosse in high school. He's also a dual-major now. Tons of other fun facts in his SU Athletics bio.
Let's Get A Good Look Atcha: Probably...