Our once and always rival, Colgate, will be returning to the Carrier Dome in 2016 for a non-conference showdown with the Orange. According to SU, the date and time are still TBD. However, FBSchedules already has the game penciled in for September 10, 2016, which seems oddly-specific. Either way, we've got time to figure it out.
The two schools last met in 2010, a one-off that saw Syracuse win 42-7 in a game that was actually kinda closer than that score would indicate. Colgate dominated the time of possession and tried to wear down Syracuse's defense while counting SU to falter offensively. It didn't happen, but, had the stars aligned, who knows.
While it is ancient history, the series does come with a whole lot of history. The rivalry features a game that ended in a tie because a reporter tackled a Syracuse player who was en route to scoring a touchdown as well as the infamous Hoodoo curse. Whether the curse was ever real or not, it certainly died sometime around 1950, the last time Colgate beat Syracuse.
With non-conference games against Notre Dame and LSU on the horizon, the Orange would do well to schedule more games like this one. In fact, I don't see why you don't just schedule Colgate all the time...
- Syracuse Daily Links - History Says Trevor Cooney Will Improve
- 2015 NCAA Tournament East Regional Tickets On Sale Tuesday
- Syracuse Lacrosse: Men No. 7 In Both Polls, Women Still No. 3
- Syracuse Football Spring Practice: An Offensive Amount Of Speed
- HopkinsWatch: Syracuse's Mike Hopkins Not Under Consideration For Cal Job