The men aren't the only Syracuse Orange basketball team kicking ass in tropical locales this week. When they're not busy snorkeling, the women's basketball team is putting a beatdown on opponents at Paradise Jam in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Up first was the Texas Longhorns, whom SU defeated 77-65.
Sophomores Brianna Butler and Brittney Sykes combined for 35 points to lead Syracuse women's basketball (6-0) to a 77-65 victory vs. Texas (3-2) in the Orange's first game of the Paradise Jam on Thursday at the UVI Sports & Fitness Center.
Butler scored 18 points and Sykes tallied 17 to lead four Orange in double-figures. La'Shay Taft scored 15 points, all in the second half, and Rachel Coffey netted a season-high 13 points to go with a team-best four assists.
The Orange will now take on the Memphis Tigers (3-3) tonight at 8:15 p.m. ET. The game will be webcast live on YouTube Live Sports and ParadiseJam.com. SU wraps up the trip with a showdown against nationally-ranked Texas A&M on Saturday.
Of course, nothing might come out of this trip better than Brittney Sykes'a face in this team photo from the trip. She's their Baye Keita of team photos.
Keep an eye on PBP man Brian Higgins and the SU Womens Hoops feed for Twitter updates along the way.
- Upstate Orange Podcast: Boeheim's Bunch Owns It In Maui
- Maui Wowie: C.J. Fair Scores 24 As Orange Win Maui Invitational
- Cavaliers Shopping Dion Waiters, Knicks & Sixers Among Possibilities
- ACC Basketball Introductions: How Syracuse Matches Up With Virginia
- Syracuse Sports Make Me Drink: Previewing Boston College/Chatting Maui Invitational