It is not when you get there, it is how you perform when you do.
That's what former Syracuse Orange wide receiver Alec Lemon is doing at the 2013 Senior Bowl after he was a late invitee.
The Orange's record-breaking wide out landed in Mobile, Ala from Ariz. on Tuesday, a day after he was added to the North Team roster to replace Ohio State linebacker John Simon, and is trying to make the most out of his behind-the-eight-ball situation.
Of course, not much is being said about Lemon, who's expected to be a Day 2 or Day 3 selection and is projected to play the not-so-glamorous position of slot receiver, however, there's some stuff out there.
- According to Houston Texans' reporter Drew Dougherty, Lemon said he models his game after former All-Pro wide receiver Andre Johnson.
- Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Doug Whaley was asked about wide receivers at the Senior Bowl and Lemon's name did not come up.
- However, Syracuse.com's Brent Axe thinks Lemon is the Syracuse player most likely to go to Buffalo.
- ESPN Denver's Cecil Lammey said Lemon was impressive Tuesday but leveled off Wednesday.
- Yahoo! Sports Doug Farrar reported Tuesday ALEX Lemon schooled a pair of UConn cornerbacks.
Connecticut's Blidi Wreh-Wilson is a big-ticket player when he gets his hands on the ball -- he's got a penchant for pick-sixes. But on Tuesday, he showed a few things that could keep him from doing that a lot at the NFL level. He was late to the party on one slant route to Syracuse's Alex Lemon, and he seemed a tad late on quick cuts.
Wreh-Wilson's Connecticut teammate, Dwayne Gratz, lost inside position on Lemon on a deep sideline route to the right, allowing Lemon to move back toward the numbers and make the grab.
- Of course, the Syracuse player getting the most attention is quarterback Ryan Nassib, who's currently under a lot of scrutiny, and Lemon seems to be the signal caller's shoulder to lean on.
Lemon's skill sets probably will not get much attention until Saturday's game (4 p.m. ET on NFL Network). However, one can only think the late addition to the Senior Bowl will help him in the 2013 NFL Draft.