Update 2: Gary Tuchman spoke with Laurie Fine briefly at her front door and the exchange will be televised on Anderson Cooper 360 tonight at 8pm ET. Keep in mind this is probably not as juicy as it sounds. It's not a planned statement, it's an ambush, so expect it to be brief and uninteresting.
Update: Laurie Fine tells WYSR she has no plans to make any announcement in spite of the reports.
Original: Sunday, ESPN dropped the bombshell audio recording of Laurie Fine andapparently discussing Bernie Fine's predilections related to the ongoing sexual abuse allegations. The recording was apparently done without Laurie Fine's knowledge.
The wife of former Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine will make a statement Tuesday challenging the implications of a tape recording of a 2002 telephone conversation with her husband's accuser that appears to show she knew of alleged sexual abuse of boys, her nephew said Monday.
According to the nephew, Matt Govendo, Davis had previously threatened Laurie that he would release the tape after the Fine's cut him off "after 15 years of leaching off them, eating their food, living there."
Govendo also added that his family still does not believe the allegations.
I'm not gonna lie, I want to believe this. But...well, I don't know... That's a heckuva lot of tampering that would have been needed.
Some more links and notes after the jump.
- Victim advocates give Coach Jim Boeheim's apology a mixed review...Syracuse.com
- U.S. Attorney's Office and Secret Service take lead in Bernie Fine probe, Onondaga County District Attorney says...Syracuse.com
- Syracuse Police to release Fine investigation materials to DA...WYSR
- Lessons from Syracuse, Penn State and Duke on responding to scandal...WaPo
- Don McPherson doesn't think Jim Boeheim will survive this...Sirius XM College SportsNation
- Mike Waters joins Craig Hoffman to discuss the Bernie Fine situation...Z89
- US Department of Education investigating SU over Fine allegations...WYSR
- Former Syracuse coach to face Pittsburgh police investigation...Post-Gazette
- Mike Waters tells Mike Francesa that Syracuse's 2005 internal investigation might not have been thorough enough...WFAN
Harold Weber looks at the latest in the Bernie Fine sexual molestation case, an incriminating taped phone call between the accuser and Bernie's wife.
Kenny gives his take on the latest in the Bernie Fine investigation and laments losses by Marrone's Orange football team.