Shame on me for not paying more attention the SU women's run though the WNIT. That run ended in the quarterfinals this weekend in a 78-52 loss to Michigan. Before it ended, the ladies put together what might just have been the best season in the history of the program. To wit:
- SU's 25 wins were the most in a season since it began competing in the NCAA in 1981-82.
- Syracuse's 12-0 start was the best start in school history. That also matched the program’s longest winning streak.
- The Orange won more than one postseason game for the first time in a single season. Three to be exact.
- Senior Nicole Michael became the only SU player to reach 500- points in a single season twice. She passed the mark during the Michigan game to garner 501 on this season. She also became SU’s all-time leading scorer (1787) and rebounder (996).
- SU made it's third consecutive winning season, the first time since it posted six straight from 1984-85 to 1989-90.
Compared to the men's program, it might not seem like much but you gotta applaud the job Coach Q has done with the women's team. He's taken a Big East doormat and turned them into a perennial post-season team. Another quality season, tons of lessons learned and you can expect the program to keep growing in 2011.