It's never fun to try and recap a game you didn't watch so I'll leave that to the folks who actually did. Links below and add your own post-game comments as well. (We'll tackle Mike Williams, figuratively, in the next post).
So, first sentence I read in Donnie Webb's game recap:
The Syracuse University football team overcame the loss of star wide receiver Mike Williams (yikes) and a 98-yard kickoff return (yikes!) to turn back Akron 28-14 Saturday afternoon before a Carrier Dome crowd of 36,991 (YIKES!).
Announced 36K??? Oof.
Per Donnie Webb, Delone Carter had career day as Syracuse runs roughshod over Akron. 170 yards and 3 TDs. That's fantastic. After what's been an extremely gritty and not always rewarding season for Delone, great to see he could break through. Huge confidence boost for the O-line as well I'm sure.
Greg Paulus, who struggled in his last two games, was as good as he needed to be with a 12-for-17 performance for 105 yards and a touchdown.
The fact that we are talking about what Syracuse did as opposed to what they didn't do, about says it all.
- Syracuse University football team punishes rookie Akron quarterback...Donnie Webb
- GROUND CONTROL: Carter's 170 yards send SU to win...Tyler Dunne, D.O.
- It took a while against feisty Akron, but at the end of the football day, SU zapped those Zips (complete with Moby Dick reference!)...Bud Poliquin
- Paulus snaps back to form, plays pick-free...Jared Diamond, D.O.
- Is there something more to linebacker Derrell Smith's injury at Syracuse? (YIIIIKES)...Donnie Webb
- SU 'D' holds Zips to 0 total rushing yards (wow, Mazel Tov everyone)...Tyler Dunne, D.O.
- Syracuse University football team gives mighty Bearcats something to think about...Dave Rahme
- Syracuse's Delone Carter makes Big East Weekly Honor Roll...Trish LaMonte
- Monday-Morning QB...John Brennan, Orange44
- DC3 runs past Akron, looks for more...Sean Herlihy, CuseConfidential
- Syracuse-Akron Observations...Russianator, Three Idiots on Sports