We thought we might lose Hopkins to Boston College but they went with a guy named Christian instead (a little on the nose, guys?). We thought maybe Marquette would come calling but they went with Duke's Coach Hopkins.
The only legit contender for Hopkins' service left would be the California Golden Bears, who are replacing Mike Montgomery. I thought perhaps given the Cali connection and interest from USC last year, Cal might want to take Hop out for a test run.
Via Mike Waters, it sounds like that's not going to happen.
One of the coaching jobs that still remains open is at California where Mike Montgomery resigned on Monday. But a source told syracuse.com that Hopkins is not among the candidates to replace Montgomery at Cal…the source said that Cal officials have not attempted to contact Hopkins.
California Golden Blogs has their own list of candidates based on who they know has been contacted and who else might make sense and Hopkins isn't on that either.
So, unless Coach Hop suddenly decides to take a job well beneath his place, you can look forward to at least another season with him by Boeheim's side. Whether or not that'll remain the case until Boeheim retires (whenever that is) remains to be seen.
- Doug Marrone & Mike Williams, Together Again (Until Something Goes Wrong)
- Jim Boeheim & Why No One Should Ever Be Honest About Anything
- Should He Stay or Should He Go - The Great Jerami Grant Debate
- Syracuse Daily Links - Call Terrel Hunt "The Unanointed"
- Jerami Grant Watch: To Be A Late First-Rounder Or Not To Be A Late First-Rounder