The men aren't the only Syracuse Orange basketball team kicking ass in tropical locales this week. When they're not busy snorkeling, the women's basketball team is putting a beatdown on opponents at Paradise Jam in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Up first was the Texas Longhorns, whom SU defeated 77-65.
Sophomores Brianna Butler and Brittney Sykes combined for 35 points to lead Syracuse women's basketball (6-0) to a 77-65 victory vs. Texas (3-2) in the Orange's first game of the Paradise Jam on Thursday at the UVI Sports & Fitness Center.
Butler scored 18 points and Sykes tallied 17 to lead four Orange in double-figures. La'Shay Taft scored 15 points, all in the second half, and Rachel Coffey netted a season-high 13 points to go with a team-best four assists.
The Orange will now take on the Memphis Tigers (3-3) tonight at 8:15 p.m. ET. The game will be webcast live on YouTube Live Sports and ParadiseJam.com. SU wraps up the trip with a showdown against nationally-ranked Texas A&M on Saturday.
- Upstate Orange Podcast: Boeheim's Bunch Owns It In Maui
- Maui Wowie: C.J. Fair Scores 24 As Orange Win Maui Invitational
- Cavaliers Shopping Dion Waiters, Knicks & Sixers Among Possibilities
- ACC Basketball Introductions: How Syracuse Matches Up With Virginia
- Syracuse Sports Make Me Drink: Previewing Boston College/Chatting Maui Invitational