Mar 15, 2012; Portland, OR, USA; Long Beach State 49ers guard/forward James Ennis (11) dunks the ball during the second half of the game against against the New Mexico Lobos in the second round of the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament at the Rose Garden. New Mexico won the game 75-68. Mandatory Credit: Steve Dykes-US PRESSWIRE
No one will ever accuse the Long Beach St. 49ers of scheduling soft. Last season they put together the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation and this season appears to be absolutely no different. On a schedule that includes road games against the North Carolina Tar Heels, Arizona Wildcats, Ohio St. Buckeyes and UCLA Bruins, they've also listed a December 6 trip to the Carrier Dome to take on the Syracuse Orange.
All LBSU did last year was finish 24-9, win the Big West Conference and make it to the NCAA Tournament. Of course, the team only has one returning starter and lose their best player, Casper Ware.
Syracuse is 2-0 against Long Beach all-time, including a 79-55 trouncing in 2008.
And so, here's the non-conference schedule as we know it...
- November 1st - Pace (exhibition)
- November 4th - Bloomburg (exhibition)
- November 9th - San Diego State (@ USS Midway)
- November 18th - Wagner
- November 25th - Colgate
- November 30th - @Arkansas
- December 6th - Long Beach State
- December 8th - Monmouth
- TBD - Three unknown Gotham Classic opponents in Carrier Dome (likely 2nd and 3rd week in Dec.)
- December 22nd - Temple @MSG
- December 31st - Central Conn. State
- TBD - Drexel