I've lived in Pittsburgh for two years, so needless to say I'm beyond excited the ‘Cuse will be here. I’ll be at the games myself, but I wanted to let you know about a couple spots that would be great to watch games and fun to check out.
The arena is pretty much right downtown, but not unlike their basketball team, downtown Pittsburgh is pretty lame. It will be fun to check out during the day, but I wouldn’t recommend hanging out in the city if you’re looking for a good time.
There are three spots about 5 minutes from downtown that I would suggest watching the games. You could go to Oakland, which is where the you’ll find the University of Pittsburgh and bars aplenty (you might recall the “Oakland Zoo” shirts). The South Side is Pittsburgh’s best spot for a bar crawl. The North Side is where PNC Park (Pirates) and Heinz Field (Steelers) are located - great sports bars. All these spots are good, but if it were me, I would prefer Oakland if not just for the “in your face” factor. Pittsburgh is playing in the CBI (didn’t even make the NIT) and we’re a 1 seed. Sucks bro.
1. Oakland (from downtown, take Forbes Ave, a one way street, right out of downtown for 2 miles)
- Peter’s Pub – great specials on light beers
- Fuel and Fuddle – great craft beers and good food
- Primanti Brothers (the original is in the Strip District, but this one's still good)
- The Original Hot Dog House - not a good place to watch games, but it the has the best fries. And hot dogs.
2. The South Side (from downtown, take Forbes like your heading to Oakland, but take a right onto the Birmingham Bridge to E Carson St.)
- Claddagh’s Irish Pub – good atmosphere, great mixed drinks
- The Library – lots of TVs, good bartenders
- Fat Head’s Saloon – microbrewery and awesome burgers
3. The North Side (from downtown, take 6th Street which turns into the Roberto Clemente bridge)
- Mullen’s – good wings, lots of TVs
- McFadden’s – standard Irish Pub
Things you should do while you’re here
- Go to Primanti Brother’s – Pittsburgh’s famous steak sandwich – the original one is in the Strip District, but they’re everywhere
- Go to Pamela’s in the Strip District for breakfast… you’ll have to wait a couple hours but it’s worth it
- Go to Mount Washington and ride the “incline” – awesome view of the city and quite romantic if you’re with a “special someone”
I know this is a lot of info, but I figured too much was better than too little. Have fun in Pittsburgh - shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions about the city!