Last week, Pinker posted some great photos of his little Orange in action. It was nice to see someone doing the good work needed to be done in order to ensure another generation of SU fans. And it got me thinking. I don't know for sure how many of you are putting in the same kind of effort. For all I know, you're all a bunch of no-good slackers. In fact, if my site demographics tell me anything, it's that you're definitely all a bunch of no-good slackers. Go skateboard and listen to punk music elsewhere...
Perhaps this is an opportunity for everyone to put their orange where their mouth is. In a less confusing way, it's a chance for everyone to prove one and for all that they're doing what they can to grow an Orange of their very own. I've provided the blueprint (or orangeprint, if you will). Now it's your turn.
Thus begins THE 'GROWING YOUR ORANGE' CONTEST.
How do you enter? Simple. I'm going to provide you with a list of criteria. You need to supply a child. The more criteria you photograph that child participating in, the more points you accumulate, the better your chances of winning the Grand Prize.
What's the grand prize. An AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF 'HOW TO GROW AN ORANGE." Oh, do I have your attention now? No? Wait, where are you going? Come on...it's a good deal! I'm a huge star in Watertown!
Well regardless, you shouldn't be in this for the accolades. You should be in this for love of the game. Did the movie For Love Of The Game teach you nothing? Were you even paying attention to Kevin Costner and Kelly Preston?
Alright, so let's get into the nitty-gritty.
- The deadline for this contest is September 30th.
- You are going to submit a photo as a FanPost/FanShot. If you do not know how to post a FanPost/FanShot, please review the how to's located here. Please do not email me photos. It's big boy and girl time.
- That photo will showcase your child and/or pet in various state of Syracuse fandomship (not a word). Depending on what they are doing or wearing in the photo, you will accumulate points. The more points you accumulate, the better your chance of winning.
THE POINT SYSTEM
If the child/pet is wearing a Syracuse t-shirt, pants, shorts, hat, jacket or sneakers (one point per item)
If the child/pet is wearing Syracuse-themed jewelry (necklaces, pins, earrings, etc., one point per item)
If the child/pet is watching or in front of a TV with Syracuse sports on
If the child/pet is photographed with at least two other people also in Syracuse gear
If Brent Axe is on the TV in the background of the photo
If the child/pet is pictured with Otto, either actual mascot or in plush form
If the child/pet is wearing a Syracuse athletics jersey
If the child/pet is reading or holding a newspaper clipping from the 2003 National Title.
If the child/pet is standing outside the Carrier Dome (pictured)
If the child/pet is standing on the Quad
If the child/pet is standing in or in front of The Melo Center
If the child/pet is inside one of the Inflatable Jumpies (for kids!) before an SU game
If the child/pet if a DVD/Blu-Ray of The Express is visible in the photograph
If the child/pet is inside the Carrier Dome
If the child/pet seems to be desecrating anything Georgetown or UConn-related.
If the child/pet is photographed with some kind of autographed SU memorabilia
If the child/pet is eating Syracuse Athletics cereal or the box is present in the shot.
If the child/pet is holding or is next to the fabulous book "How To Grow An Orange"
If the child/pet is photographed in a room painted orange or if the wallpaper is Syracuse-themed.
If TNIAAM is on a computer screen in the photograph
If the child/pet is eating a Dome Dog
If the child/pet is photographed with a current Syracuse athlete/coach
Twenty Five Points
If the child/pet is photographed with a former Syracuse player, Syracuse broadcaster or other SU celebrity (to be confirmed at my discretion)
If Floyd Little is posing in the photograph with the child/pet (somewhere in the background doesn't count)
If DOCTOR Daryl Gross is posing in the photograph with the child/pet (background does not count)
Now, some final tidbits...
1. Ideally, you have a child of your own to use as your blank canvas. However, if you don't have a child, see if you can borrow one from a relative or friend. DO NOT ADOPT A CHILD FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE ON ENTERING THIS COMPETITION AND THEN DISCARD IT ONCE THE COMPETITION IS OVER. I've got the Zimbabwe government running circles around me over the last time we did this, I don't need that headache again.
2. If you really don't have access to a child, I'm going to allow pets as well. Preferably dogs and cats but, hey, if you can make it work, make it work.
3. Please do not torture, hurt, humiliate or put in harms way the child/pet that you are working with. I do not want to see photos of your ten-year-old nephew running across the I-81 in midday traffic waving an orange flag. I mean, I DO want to see it, but...you understand.
4. The whole idea is that this child will one day grow up to be a Syracuse fans/student. SO, any child is allowed to enter as long as they're not college aged. From one-day old to seventeen, it's fair game. Though I suppose pets of any kind are allowed to enter.
5. You have until September 30th to submit your photo. And I mean that...ONE photo. If you have ten amazing ones, pick the best one and submit it. Then post the others in a FanPost, we'll want to see them anyway.
Good luck, God speed and G'Orange!