In light of Louisville's answer to Rudy, Kyle Kuric, destroying Syracuse in the second half of today's game, I am compelled to finally address the issue of how many no-name, quirky players have career days against Syracuse. It seems like every single game, some guy on the other team has a career high and plays out of his mind—or at least very unexpectedly well. I want to see how many of these dudes we can come up with. They aren't the great players who have torched the 'Cuse—you expect Scottie Reynolds to score 90 points. We're looking for the weirdest and most embarrassing guys who have gone bonkers against Syracuse. (Doesn't necessarily have to be in a loss but that's usually how these things go.)
Consider this an open thread to brainstorm these players. I'll start off with a few I can remember from this year and the past off the top of my head. Stats are optional; if the game was significant we'll all remember the name.
- Kyle Kuric, Louisville - 22 points in the second half, averages 3!
- Mike Marra (aka Devendorf South), the first 2010 Louisville game - 12—all threes, natch
- Mouphtaou Yarou, 2010 Villanova - 13 points, career high (though we'll probably see more of him)
- Chris Hill, Michigan State, 2002-03 - 10 threes, but the 2003 team handled it
- Brendan Plavich, Charlotte, 2003-04 - 10 threes at the Dome, and the 2004 team did not handle it
- Quincy Douby, Rutgers - that crazy overtime game where Terrence Roberts hit the game-winning three; Douby had about 41 points?
- Kevin Bettencourt, Bucknell
- Germain Mopa-Nigila (whatever), Vermont, 2005 - duh
There are TONS more and I am blanking right now... how many can you remember?