All due credit to Rocky Top Talk, whom I'm blatantly stealing this and most of the instructions below from. Just came across it and have spent the last half hour tinkering. I figured we might as well all give it a go.
Thanks to the magic of EA Sports' free TeamBuilder feature for NCAA Football 10 (in stores now), you no longer have to be an artist or a graphic designer to take a shot at creating an alternate uniform for the Orange. You can create a new look for SU's uniforms using their site in as little as 10 minutes...or spend an entire afternoon trying out thousands of different combinations.
We all love to speculate about the SU uniforms, especially given all the tweaks over the past few years. Will the Orange break out new orange jerseys? Should we go back to the old ones? Should we tweak to an entirely new look altogether? Now's your chance to give it a whirl. For the next week, we'll be taking submissions from the TeamBuilder software for your best shot at a new-look Syracuse uniform. Update the home and/or away unis, change the helmet, add some gray or black, whatever you think looks best. After a week's worth of submissions, I'll poll you the reader on the best ones we receive. No word on whether or not DOCTOR Gross will be watching and recording your input...but perhaps we'll find some common ground on what we think would be an improvement for the Orange.
There will be a prize for the top pick! Not sure exactly what yet but I'll think of something. Nothing Earth-shattering but enough to make it worth wasting ten minutes on an entry.
How to use TeamBuilder:
- Check out the free TeamBuilder site here
- If you don't have an account with EA Sports, you'll need to register for a free one - no confirmation emails, just a quick registration page
- Once you've registered and logged in, click CREATE A SCHOOL
- From here, you can be as in-depth as you'd like. Created teams can be saved and then downloaded once the game is released, and you can play with seven other features aside from uniforms. If you just want to get to the Syracuse uniform creation, you'll want to change the school colors to orange (Syracuse's official shade is found in the third row), blue, and whatever you choose for the third option (white, black, etc.). You'll see as you build the uniforms that you'll probably want to play around with that order as well.
- Next, click on the LOGO tab to enable access to the Block S. At the bottom of the screen, select "Choose Existing" and then select Syracuse.
- Now you're ready to go. Click on the UNIFORM tab at the top of the screen to pull up the main uniforms. From here, you can go into the helmet, jersey, pants and shoes menus individually and edit to your heart's desire until you have a completed uniform for submission.
How to post entries at TNIAAM:
- Get a screencap of your completed uniform (like the one at the top of this post). The easiest way I know to do this is to use the PrntScrn key, and then open a program like MS Paint and paste the screen into it, then crop it down to size and save. (If you're savvier than that, have at it. Whatever works.)
- Once you've got the image saved, create a FanPost on TNIAAM that includes your image in it.
- The contest will run from Tuesday, July 28th to Tuesday, August 4th. We'll post a poll on Wednesday morning, August 5th with the best entries (or all of them, depending on how many we get) and allow the community to vote on a winner through the weekend.
If you have any questions on how to use any of this, just post them in the comments and I'll be sure to help you out.