No one, I repeat no one, does awkward photos and catchy headlines like the New York Daily News. You might remember being introduced to a very sweaty Doug Marrone and the fireball that is Syracuse football. Well now I give you a piece called Awkward Greg Paulus on Brick:
Confident. Determined. Tilted.
Rich Cimini is back and he's breaking down the entire Greg Paulus Saga to find out exactly how it all went down. Couple interesting tidbits:
- He's believed to be the first to take advantage of this five-year, multi-sport loophole at two different Division I schools.
- When Greg arrived in Syracuse to visit the campus, he saw himself on TV. Playing football. Huh? Turns out that all-day marathon of his high school football games was on at that moment.
- The Packers were the ones who reached out Paulus, inviting him to try out. Nothing happened but the spark to play football was then officially back.
- He's got quite a few detractors, including analyst Tim Hasselback ("I'd be blown away [if he became effective.]"), former Cowboys personnel director Gil Brandt ("Virtually impossible") and an anonymous NFL general manager ("A thousand-to-1shot.")
- Greg does have a supporter in Saints' QB Drew Brees - ""I really respect what he's trying to do...Part of me wishes it's something I would've done. It's not going to be easy, but I told Greg, 'Be confident. You haven't lost it. It's in there.'"